1-Day Historical Road Hiking Tour
Best season: April ~ November
This area, which is called Nishitama, is a neighborhood located to the west of the metropolitan area in Tokyo. There are mountains, rivers, good old Japanese culture and sound of nature instead of crowds, skyscrapers and bustle of a city. It's a part of a national park.
In such surroundings, people and nature coexist in harmony.
1. Okutama Historical Road
There are several shrines, scenic spots and statues of douso-shins along this trail. A douso-shin (also referred to as douso-jin) is a deity on roadsides which is believed as a traveler's guardian deity.
You will enjoy hiking and seeing a good old Japan on the 9 km trail, taking about 5 hours to the final destination of the trip, the Lake Okutama. Let's check out some remarkable sites.
2. Discontinued Railway
Railroads of a discontinued line still remain in the middle of the mountain. It feels like the railroad track continues forever. And there are statues of douso-shins standing in line to pray for our safe road trip. More douso-shins are waiting for us.
3. Fudo Fall
You can hear melodies of water and feel a brilliance of great nature in the depths of the mountain. This is one of the most beautiful falls in this area and one of the water sources of the rivers that have created the SATOYAMA culture and the life-style.
4. Shirahige Shrine & Overhanging Huge Rock
This overhanging huge rock with 20 m diameter and about 5 m height stands as if it covers over the shrine. The top part of the rock shows reverse faults which were created by lime stone from the Cenozoic era being thrust onto pelitic rock from Cretaceous period.
5. Shidakura Suspension Bridge
From the middle of this suspension bridge, beautiful views of the valley can be enjoyed. If you have a fear of heights we would recommend you to stay at the entrance of the bridge. It swings a lot besides the height.
6. Lake Okutama
Lake Okutama was artificially constructed as a reservoir for Tokyo and now providing approximately 20% of the water used in the metropolitan area. The view of the lake varies with seasons. Beautiful sceneries of cherry blossoms in spring, greenery in summer, changing leaves in autumn and covered with snow in a severe winter can be enjoyed.
- English-speaking guide
- Transportation during the tour (Train & bus)
- Lunch box
- Admission fees
- Travel Insurance
Departure Point & Time
- JR Shinjuku Station
East Exit next to KOBAN (Police Box) at 7:15am
⇒Check the meeting point on a map
*We will go to the local station by train.
Return Point & Time
- JR Shinjuku Station at 6:30pm(approx.)
*We will come back to the JR Shinjuku station by train.
- If you cancel at least 14 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 8 and 13 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure,
there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 7 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
- If you have any allergies or dietary restrictions, please let us know when you book.
- Please note that the tour itinerary and order may change.
- Due to weather conditions, natural disasters or any other special conditions, we could cancel tours.
When we cancel the tour, we will refund all the tour cost you paid.
- JPY ¥ 19,000 (4 or more travelers)
- JPY ¥ 25,000 (3 travelers)
- JPY ¥ 35,000 (2 travelers)
Tour Code : S1048